We have recently learned that vintage U.S. coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) did exceptionally well at Stack’s Bowers Galleries Baltimore Rarities Night. The top lots were two $20 coins from New Orleans: an 1856-O Liberty Head double eagle and an 1854-O Liberty Head double eagle, which together realized more than $500,000 (USD) in the Nove. 14, 2019, sale.
The 1856-O Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC AU 53 realized $264,000 (USD). It is one of only 2,250 pieces struck, as very little of the bullion mined in California during the mid-1850s reached the New Orleans Mint for double eagle coinage. Most went to San Francisco or the Northeast, making this coin a true southern belle highly sought after by collectors.
Minted two years earlier, an 1854-O Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC XF 45, realized $240,000 (USD). This coin is also among the rarest of double eagles. Less than 40 examples are thought to exist and very few have been offered for sale at auction in recent years.
An example from the smallest mintage of the entire Draped Bust Half Dime series had a big day at auction. Realizing $192,000 (USD), this 1802 Half Dime graded NGC AU 50 is a classic numismatic rarity, recognized as the key date among all issues of the denomination.
Other NGC-certified coins that realized significant prices included:
- An 1808 Capped Bust Quarter Eagle graded NGC MS 62 that realized $174,000 (USD).
- An 1851 880 Reeded Edge $50 Humbert graded NGC MS 61 that realized $120,000 (USD).
- A 1796 Capped Bust with Stars Quarter Eagle graded NGC AU 58 that realized $108,000 (USD).
- A 1776 Pewter Continental Dollar graded NGC MS 63 that realized $81,000 (USD).
- A 1900 Liberty Head Half Eagle graded NGC PF 67 Ultra Cameo that realized $72,000 (USD).
- An 1863 $3 Gold Piece graded NGC MS 67 that realized $55,200 (USD).
- An 1871-CC Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC XF 45 that realized $40,800 (USD).
- A 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle graded NGC MS 65+ that realized $38,400 (USD).
- An 1886 Morgan Dollar graded NGC PF 68 Cameo that realized $34,800 (USD).
- An 1895 Morgan Dollar graded NGC Proof Details that realized $31,200 (USD).
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
To see all lots from the Stack's Bowers Rarity Night, click here.