GreatCollections is offering what it calls the Ultimate Collection of Rattlers and Old Holders, the auction firm announced Nov. 12. The collection comprises nearly 100 certified coins that were graded in the early years of Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and have resided with one owner ever since.
The collection of important early U.S. coins includes a 1796 Draped Bust quarter graded PCGS MS-64 and a 1796 Draped Bust dime graded PCGS MS-63 – both encapsulated in small “rattler” holders, the original type by PCGS.
NGC highlights include an 1885-CC Morgan silver dollar graded MS-68 with crescent toning and several low-mintage proof Seated quarters, all in the original “fatty” holders.
“We often dream of finding an original hoard of old holders of this magnitude and our dream came true this time!” said Ian Russell, owner and president of GreatCollections. “The originality, quality and rarity of these coins are out of this world. 1797 half dollars are extremely rare, and this collection has two examples, both in rattlers.
“One of my favorite coins from the collection is the 1796 Draped Bust dime,” Russell continued. “Conservatively graded MS-63 in the late 1980s, the coin exhibits original luster rarely encountered on 18th century U.S. coinage.”
Another highlight is the 1905 Barber quarter graded PCGS MS-68 and also in a rattler holder with toning. PCGS graded this coin 30 years ago as the finest known, and, despite the 40 million coins graded by the firm, it is still the lone MS-68, according to GreatCollections. The 1797 Draped Bust half dollars were graded VF-20 and VF-30.
The whole collection is being auctioned unreserved, with bidding to commence at $1. Several of the coins are expected to sell for more than $100,000 each, including the 1796 Draped Bust quarter.
Highlights from the Ultimate Collection at GreatCollections include:
- 1793 Liberty Cap half cent Bent Cap, Bunch Leaves, PCGS XF-40 BN CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1793 Chain cent AMERICA, PCGS AU-50 BN CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1811 Classic cent, PCGS MS-64 BN CAC OGH (2nd Gen)
- 1796 Draped Bust dime, PCGS MS-63 (CAC Gold Label) OGH (1st Gen)
- 1796 Draped Bust quarter, PCGS MS-64 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1853 Seated Liberty quarter Arrows and Rays, NGC MS-66 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1846 Seated Liberty quarter, NGC Proof-65 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1847 Seated Liberty quarter, NGC Proof-65 OH (Toned)
- 1849 Seated Liberty quarter, NGC Proof-64 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1905 Barber quarter, PCGS MS-68 CAC OGH (1st Gen) (Toned)
- 1797 Draped Bust half dollar, PCGS VF-20 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1797 Draped Bust half dollar, PCGS VF-30 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1829/7 Capped Bust half dollar, PCGS MS-65 CAC OGH (1st Gen) (Toned)
- 1795 Draped Bust silver dollar, NGC AU-50 CAC OH
- 1799 Draped Bust silver dollar, PCGS AU-50 CAC OGH (Toned)
- 1885-CC Morgan silver dollar, NGC MS-68 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1847-D Liberty gold quarter eagle, PCGS AU-50 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1883 Liberty gold quarter eagle,PCGS Proof-65 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1879 $3 gold piece, PCGS MS-64 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1889 $3 gold piece, PCGS MS-63 CAC OGH
- 1795 Capped Bust Right gold half eagle, Small Eagle, PCGS XF-40 OGH
- 1843-D Liberty gold half eagle,PCGS AU-50 OGH
- 1846-D/D Liberty gold half eagle, PCGS XF-40 (CAC Gold Label) OGH
- 1929 Indian gold half eagle, PCGS MS-62 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1866-S Liberty gold double eagle, No Motto, NGC AU-53 OH
- 1891-CC Liberty gold double eagle, PCGS AU-50 (CAC Gold Label) OGH
- Pattern 1859 50-cent J-240, PCGS Proof-65 RB OGH (1st Gen)
- Pattern 1875 50-cent J-1418, PCGS Proof-64 RD CAC OGH (1st Gen)
All coins from the collection are available for bid through Jan. 19 at www.greatcollections.com with professional images. A printed brochure is available by request.
The collection was set to be on view at the PCGS Members Only show Dec. 11-13 in Las Vegas and by appointment at GreatCollections’ Irvine, Calif., office.