This article was originally printed in Bank Note Reporter.
>> Subscribe today or get your >> Digital Subscription
An extensive world currency collection assembled by Ruth W. Hill will be offered by Heritage Auctions in a series of auctions throughout 2014, beginning April 23-28 at the Central States Signature Auction in Chicago, Ill., as well as Tuesday Internet Auctions. Additional highlights will be auctioned during Heritage’s World Currency Signature Auction in Long Beach, Calif., Sept. 3-8.
According to Heritage, “Ruth Waldron Hill’s pursuit of world paper money rarities began in the 1950s and she quickly became one of the foremost collectors and researchers in the field. Hill’s contributions to the hobby of paper money collecting were without much fanfare.
In 1979, Hill was named by Numismatic News, Bank Note Reporter’s sister publication as a Numismatic Ambassador, and in 2010, the International Bank Note Society appointed her an Honorary Life Member and an Honorary Director for Life. Hill was inducted into the IBNS Hall of Fame in 2010.
“An active collector all of her life and a pioneer in a field of mostly men, Mrs. Hill assembled an exceptional collection of world notes,” said Dustin Johnston, Heritage Director of Currency. “Her devotion was in support of a field that was in desperate need of research and for helping to build future generations of collectors that love and contribute to paper money collecting.”
Highlights from the Ruth W. Hill Collection of World Notes crossing the block April 23-28 include:
• China People’s Republic 10 yuan 1953, Pick 870;
• China Provincial Kwangtung (Guangdong) Currency Bureau 10 dollars Year 33 (1907), P-S2394;
• China Provincial Peiyang Tientsin Bank five taels ND (ca. 1910) Pick S2523;
• Iran Imperial Bank of Persia 20 tomans 19.2.1925, P-15;
• Zanzibar 10 rupees 1.2.1928 Pick 3;
• India 1,000 rupees ND (1937) Bombay Taylor, P-21a;
• Malaya Board of Commissioners of Currency 100 dollars 1.1.1942 (1945), P-15;
• Gilbert and Ellice Islands £1 1.1.1942, P-5.
For additional information, visit www.HA.com.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• Kick-start your coin collection with the Fundamentals of Coin Collecting set of essential resources and tools.
• Strike it rich with this U.S. coins value pack.
• Build an impressive collection with Coin Collecting 101.