An 1804 silver dollar brought close to $2 million at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries auction held Aug. 8 at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Rosemont, Ill.
The Garrett Class III dollar, one of only 15 examples of the date known, is graded Proof-55 by Numismatic Guaranty Corp.
At the final gavel, the restrike brought $1,880,000.
“This is one of my favorite coins,” said noted numismatist Q. David Bowers. “When I cataloged it for sale in The Garrett Collection back in 1980, it brought $400,000, which was then a world record. It was nice to see it again!”
A 1795 Flowing Hair silver dollar from The Lord St. Oswald Sale held in London in 1964, graded Specimen-64 by NGC, also drew a lot of attention and sold for $822,500.
A special consignment of Peace dollar trials also realized impressive results. Formerly owned by Mint Director Raymond T. Baker, whose tenure spanned the design and initial production of the Peace dollar, these coins document an important part of the creation of this beautiful silver dollar series.
“We are extremely proud to report that these Peace dollar trials significantly exceeded our pre-sale estimates,” said Brian Kendrella, president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. “Clearly, the historical significance and extreme rarity of these coins were not lost on bidders.”
The five coins in this special Peace dollar consignment included the 1922 Modified High Relief Production Trial, Judd-2020, Proof-67 PCGS, which led the way in prices realized at $381,875. The coin is unique for a satin finish example of this design type.
Several other specialty collections were offered as well, including The Dr. James A. Ferrendelli Collection of early U.S. gold coins and The Gilded Age Collection of United States Double Eagles. Both collections were well met by the bidding public and offered many highlights throughout.
Over $28.7 million in United States and world coins, tokens, medals and paper money crossed the block in this event.
Highlights from the Stack’s Bowers Galleries August 2014 ANA World’s Fair of Money auction include:
• Lot 3178. 1877 Indian Cent. MS-65 BN (PCGS). Eagle Eye Photo Seal. Realized $21,150.
• Lot 4268. 1928 Peace Silver Dollar. MS-65+ (PCGS). CAC. From The Narva River & Lake Balaton Collection. Realized $21,150.
• Lot 4416. 1884-CC Liberty Double Eagle. MS-60 (NGC). Realized $14,687.
• Lot 11016. 1808 Quarter Eagle. BD-1. AU-55 (NGC). From The Dr. James A. Ferrendelli Collection. Realized $82,250.
• Lot 11058. 1795 Half Eagle. Small Eagle. BD-6. AU-58 (PCGS). From The Dr. James A. Ferrendelli Collection. Realized $64,625.
• Lot 11104. 1797 Capped Bust Right Eagle. Small Eagle. BD-1, Taraszka-7. AU-58 (NGC). From The Dr. James A. Ferrendelli Collection. Realized $164,500.
• Lot 12005. 1852-O Liberty Double Eagle. MS-62 (PCGS). From The Gilded Age Collection. Realized $94,000.
• Lot 13023. 1793 Flowing Hair, Wreath Cent. S-11B. Lettered Edge. MS-64 BN (PCGS). CAC. Ex: Bullowa. Realized $270,250.
• Lot 13027. 1794 Cent. S-48. Starred Reverse. VF-25 (PCGS). Ex: Van Arsdall-Bowers. Realized $129,250.
• Lot 13070. 1916-D Mercury Dime. MS-66 FB (PCGS). Realized $58,750.
• Lot 13076. 1828 Capped Bust Quarter. B-3. 25/50C. MS-63 (PCGS). Realized $117,500.
• Lot 13112. 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar. BB-1. VF-35 (PCGS). From Dr. Richard Aghababian’s Early Impressions Collection. Ex: Samuel W. Wolfson. Realized $223,250.
• Lot 13166. 1921 Peace Dollar. High Relief. Sandblast or Matte Finish, Antiqued. Specimen-64 (PCGS). Ex: Mint Director Raymond T. Baker. Realized $129,250.
• Lot 13167. 1922 Peace Dollar. Modified High Relief Production Trial. Judd-2020. Proof-67 (PCGS). CAC. Satin Finish. Ex: Mint Director Raymond T. Baker. Realized $381,875.
• Lot 13287. (2000)-P Sacagawea Dollar—Muled with a Statehood Quarter—MS-67 (NGC). Realized $117,500.
The next Stack’s Bowers Galleries U.S. coin auctions are set for Oct. 9-11 in conjunction with the first annual PNG New York Invitational and Oct. 29-Nov. 1 in conjunction with the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo.
Contact a Stack’s Bowers Galleries representative to consign at 800-458-4646 (West Coast) or 800-566-2580 (East Coast).