The all-time finest set of classic U.S. commemoratives struck between 1892 and 1954 will be displayed Aug. 14-18 at the Professional Coin Grading Service’s booth during the 2018 American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia.
Many of the coins in the 144-coin set have spectacular original toning, according to PCGS.
“The J & L 144 Complete Set is ranked as both the current finest and all-time finest in the Professional Coin Grading Service Set Registry®,” said PCGS President Don Willis.
“The 144-piece silver commemorative set includes all of the 50 different type coin commemoratives issued from 1892 through 1954, plus each date and mintmark of the multiple issues,” said PCGS Set Registry Manager BJ Searls.
“The J & L Set has a ‘wow factor’ because of its near-perfect overall grade and the beautiful toning on so many of these coins.”
Named after the first names of the collection’s owners, John and Linda, the J & L commemoratives collection has a set rating of 68.705, just a few points away from perfection. Also, 27 of the coins are the single finest-graded of their kind, and 77 percent of the coins are “top pop” in the PCGS Population Report, according to Searls.
“The J&L Set illustrates the owners’ search for not only highly graded coins but also coins that come alive with glorious toning,” Searls said.
Highlights of the collection that can be seen at the ANA convention include:
• 1920 Pilgrim half dollar, graded PCGS Gold Shield MS-68, one of only two ever certified at that top grade by PCGS;
• 1925 Lexington half dollar, PCGS Gold Shield MS-68+, finest known;
• 1926 Oregon Trail half dollar, PCGS Gold Shield MS-68+, finest known.
“The J & L Collection is a perfect example of what collectors can achieve when they put their hearts into their hobby,” said Searls.
“PCGS is honored to display John and Linda’s beautiful set of commemoratives,” he added.
The set can be viewed online at https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/commemoratives/commemoratives-major-sets/silver-commemoratives-144-piece-mintmark-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1954/alltimeset/142776.
This article was originally printed in Numismatic News Express. >> Subscribe today
More Collecting Resources
• If you enjoy reading about what inspires coin designs, you'll want to check out our Fascinating Facts, Mysteries & Myths about U.S. Coins eBook.
• Error coins can bring big money. Learn to detect them and how to cash in on them with Strike It Rich With Pocket Change.