Heritage Auctions is sure to turn both ancient and world coin collector’s heads when it hosts the CICF 2016 signature auction.
The sale is held in conjunction with the 41st annual Chicago International Coin Fair. The show is held from April 14 to 17 in Hall B of the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill.
Among the top lots in Heritage’s sale is a PCGS-graded MS-64+ Canadian 1870 Queen Victoria half dollar, lot 29581, missing the designer’s initials.
The half dollar variety is noted for the absence of designer Leonard Charles Wyon’s initials at the truncation of the Queen’s neck. Very few of the 450,000 1870 half dollars minted lack the LCW initials, making it a rarity in all grades.
With this example graded MS-64+, it is the finest known by both PCGS and NGC, Heritage said. A specimen strike 1870 No LCW half dollar graded SP-64 sold in January 2003 for $103,500 on a $100,000 estimate.
Australian collectors will also have a very scarce coin to view. A PCGS-graded AU-50 1930 King George V penny is making an appearance as lot 29455.
A well-known rarity in the Australian penny series, the example is tied as the highest graded with just one other at PCGS. Heritage notes the coin boasts red-brown toning throughout and sharp design elements.
Other top lots for the sale include:
• Lot 29193, a Egypt drachm of Roman emperor Otho, who reigned for only three months in 69 C.E.. The example listed is one of just 11 known, with only three in private hands.
• Lot 29735, a 1855 Costa Rica gold 2 escudos graded NGC MS-64 and one of only two Mint State examples known.
• Lot 30030, an NGC MS-64 1688 King James II English silver crown.
• Lot 29864, a proof 1911 India King George V rupee, graded by NGC as PR-63.
• Lot 30682, the finest known 1866 Mexico Maximilian peso, graded by NGC as MS-65.
Bidding on the CICF 2016 auction begins online March 25. Lots can be previewed at: http://coins.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=3046.
Lots can also be seen in the Heritage Auctions lot viewing room at CICF 2016. The live auction will take place from April 14 to 16 at the show.
This article was originally printed in World Coin News.
>> Subscribe today or get your >> Digital Subscription
More Collecting Resources
• Come on down to the Chicago International Coin Fair in Rosemont, Ill. on April 14 to 17, 2016 to see impressive world coins, meet new collectors and participate in Heritage Auction’s fantastic coin auction.
• The Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 8th Edition is your guide to images, prices and information on the century's coins.