On Feb. 4, representatives from the United States Mint, the Nevada State Museum, and the State of Nevada participated in the celebration that marked the 150th anniversary of the production of the first coin at the Carson City Mint in 1870. It was held at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City, Nev.
Director Ryder reflected on the facility’s legacy, “The Carson City Mint holds a special place in the United States Mint’s history. Some of our most beautiful coins were produced here, including the iconic Morgan silver dollar, which is still popular with collectors today. I am proud to acknowledge the people who worked here and the important role the facility played in the community.”
An Act of Congress established the Carson City Mint in 1863 to address the coinage needs brought about by the discovery of the Comstock Lode. The facility operated from 1870 to 1899 and produced gold and silver coins, including dimes, 20-cent pieces, quarters, half dollars, Trade dollars, Morgan dollars, 5-dollar gold pieces, 10-dollar gold pieces, and 20-dollar gold pieces. From 1899 to 1933, the building served as a United States Assay Office for gold and silver. The building was sold to the state of Nevada in 1939.
Ryder joined Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak and Lt. Governor Kate Marshall, Congressman Mark Amodei, State Treasurer Zach Conine, Mayor Robert Crowell, Nevada State Museum Director Myron Freedman, and History Curator Robert Nylen to celebrate this milestone.
The event kicked off with the symbolic opening of the historic front doors of the Carson City Mint and the ringing of the Mint bell by Director Ryder. The event also included a ceremonial striking of a sesquicentennial silver medallion on the historic Coin Press One, which struck the first “CC” mint mark in 1870. The medallion dies were sculpted by former U.S. Mint Engraver Tom Rogers.
Following the ceremonial minting, Director Ryder from the United States Mint was the keynote speaker at the Sesquicentennial program. To end the celebration, there was a buffet lunch reception sponsored by the Nevada Mining Association and cutting of the sesquicentennial cake that was made by Carson High School Culinary Arts students.