Get rid of Buffalo permanently

High gold prices and the soaring demand for U.S. Mint gold bullion products prompt the wheels of my mind to turn and to ask the question: Does the U.S. Mint really need the Buffalo gold bullion coin? Sure, it is .9999 fine instead of .9167 fine like the American Eagle, but does the different design and the different fineness really justify a long-term commitment to the Buffalo bullion coin?

We are in the middle of a sales hiatus for the Buffalo. The Mint is throwing all its resources into trying to meet demand for the American Eagle one-ounce gold bullion coin.

Even with this change, I think it is fair to say the Mint is still behind in supplying all of the coins that could be sold if they could be produced.

But you know what?

I haven’t heard a peep from anyone lamenting the temporary passing of the Buffalo coin.

Perhaps the Mint should consider the permanent elimination of the Buffalo coin and go back to what it was doing before the coin debuted in 2006.

This entry was posted in Buzz. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Get rid of Buffalo permanently

1. Ginger says:

I would not lament the end of the gold Buffalo. It’s another bullion piece. The gold American Eagles, made since 1986, are good sources of gold, even though the fineness is different. The design is nice, yes, and if you are a specialist in Buffalo nickels, you may want one, but I think the time has come to stop the gold Buffalo.

2. Scott says:

I would prefer the mint dropped the First Spouse coin series, but unfortunately it’s mandated by law.

3. I like the gold buffalo. I like the design. It was adapted from the models left by James Fraser. It’s a beautiful coin and worth producing at least as proof collectibles. I wish I could afford the 2008 coin so I can say I have an entire set. I hope the US Mint produces the gold buffalo.

As a side note, both coins contain one-ounce of gold no matter the fineness. Even at 22 karats, if you were to melt the coin, you will find one ounce of gold along with copper, so the coin weighs a little more than one troy ounce.

4. Paul H. says:

Hi, I love gold buffalos. Why don’t we get rid off American Eagle. Now it’s time for "change".

5. Scott says:

I’ve got a great idea. Get rid of both the Buffalo & the Eagle coins and replace them with a .999, 34mm dia. restrike of St. Gaudens high relief for collectors & a .999 low relief bullion versions for investors.

6. John Berry says:

I don’t buy the buffalo as a bullion coin even though that is how it is supposedly marketed. Think it is a fine looking coin and buy it as a collectable. On top of it all, I appreciate and enjoy the coin. With all the problems the mint is having now the lack of comment on availability is probably due to so much being unavailable. John B.

7. Bruce Walker says:

I never understood the point of 0.9999 fine gold coins to begin with. Through the course of history, the whole point of adding alloy to the gold was to make the coin more durable in circulation. In the event we return to a barter economy based on precious metals, having soft unalloyed coins would be a real disadvantage. Even as bullion coins, the softness is a real drawback. As much as I have always admired the Maple Leaf design on Canadian bullion coins, unless you purchase one freshly minted, chances are you are buying a coin with many marks and blemishes because of the metals softness. 0.900 fine, or 0.917, 0.920, even Austrian 0.980 –all of these are vastly superior coinage metals.