Some of the most famous names in numismatics were represented in the sale held from Aug. 11-16 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill.
Pieces featured were from the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection, the Thos. H. Law Collection, the Richard Jewell Collection, the Bentley Shores Collection, the Dr. Edward and Joanne Dauer Collection of Silver Certificates and the Demarete Collection.
Significant highlights abounded in all numismatic areas, and the sections of U.S. coins featured a number of important lots, including several record-breakers.
Lot 4043 showcased an incredible 1792 half disme graded MS-66 by PCGS. Pedigreed back to the Judd and Hayes collections, as well as back to David Rittenhouse, the first director of the United States Mint, this amazing piece of history fetched $793,125 when it crossed the block during our Rarities Night event on Thursday evening.
Morgan dollars featured a number of notable pieces, including an amazing 1889-CC graded MS-68 by PCGS, making it the finest certified example of the date by three points. In addition to impeccable condition, this coin also boasts a fabulous pedigree, which includes the collections of John G. Mills, John H. Clapp, Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., and Jack Lee. This coin was hotly contested and eventually sold for $881,250 after active bidding.
U.S. gold coins were highlighted by the wonderful Bentley Shores Collection of Indian Eagles, a complete and definitive collection of superb pieces. The collection contained two examples of the famous 1907 Rolled Rim, Periods. The first was graded MS-67 (PCGS) and sold for an incredible $470,000, and the second example in PCGS MS-66+ brought $329,000.
“This was our third consecutive Official ANA World’s Fair of Money auction and our most successful ANA auction to date in terms of prices realized,” said Brian Kendrella, president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. “It is always an honor and privilege to work with the American Numismatic Association and to be part of this tremendous annual show, and we are proud to be able to present such a vast and diverse catalog of historic numismatic items to our bidders at the auction and around the world.”
U.S. coin highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries auction include:
• Lot 1080, 1801 Thomas Jefferson Indian Peace Medal. First Size. Silver Shells. Julian IP-2. Choice Very Fine. Ex: F.C.C. Boyd Estate. Realized $246,750
• Lot 4019, 1793 Wreath Cent. S-9. Vine and Bars Edge. MS-69 BN (PCGS). Realized $481,750
• Lot 4245, 1878-S Liberty Seated Half Dollar. MS-63 (PCGS). CAC. From the Richard Jewell Collection. Realized $164,500
• Lot 4305, 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar. B-1. VF-35 (PCGS). Secure Holder. Realized $211,500
• Lot 4357, 1850-O Liberty Seated Silver Dollar. MS-64 (PCGS). Realized $105,750 – World Record Price at Auction
• Lot 4382, 1893-CC Morgan Silver Dollar. Proof-66 Cameo (NGC). Realized $323,125 – World Record Price at Auction
• Lot 4430, Harris, Marchand & Co. Gold Ingot. No. 6468. 51.00 Ounces. 880 Fine. Realized $305,500
• Lot 4472, 1797 Capped Bust Right Half Eagle. Small Eagle. BD-3. Rarity-6. 16 Stars. MS-61 (PCGS). Realized $411,250 – World Record Price at Auction
• Lot 4512, 1865 Liberty Eagle. Proof-66+ Deep Cameo (PCGS). CAC. Secure Holder. Realized $528,750 – World Record Price at Auction
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money, visit www.stacksbowers.com or call at 800.458.4646. Stack’s Bowers Galleries is currently accepting consignments of U.S. items for the Official Auction of the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo and the January Americana sale that will take place in January 2014 in New York.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• August special – only 25 available! Order your 2013 Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake Coin Set today!
• Buy new coin price guides, get the ebook free! Learn more.
• IT’S HERE! Order the 2014 North American Coins & Prices.
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• See what guides and supplies our editors recommend for keeping up with your collection.