The four-week order period for the 2013-W reverse proof gold Buffalo one-ounce coin was to expire just hours after this issue of Numismatic News went to press at 5 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Sept. 5.
Collectors have placed orders for 44,478 of the coins, according to the Mint sales odometer.
With a last-minute surge, the 50,000 level easily could be breached.
This is the first Buffalo gold piece with a reverse proof finish. Collectors have noticed. They have ordered more than three times the number they have purchased of the regular proofs, which stand at 13,921 pieces.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• August special – only 25 available! Order your 2013 Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake Coin Set today!
• Buy new coin price guides, get the ebook free! Learn more.
• IT’S HERE! Order the 2014 North American Coins & Prices.
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• See what guides and supplies our editors recommend for keeping up with your collection.