Coin collector William D. Hyder of Scotts Valley, Calif., seeks a position on the American Numismatic Association Board of Governers.
A coin collector for over 50 years and an ANA member for 45 years, Hyder retired from university management in 2010. He had managed an IT staff of more than 80 people for five years and an academic division with responsibility for a $20 million budget for 10 years.
Hyder has authored or co-authored articles published in The Numismatist, TAMS Journal, World Coins, the ANA Journal, and local club newsletters. Hyder and R.W. Colbert partnered to write The Medallic Portraits of Adolf Hitler that received the 1981 TAMS Mishler gold cataloging award. Jeff Shevlin and Hyder partnered to publish Discover the World of Charbneau So-Called Dollars: An Illustrated Reference that received the 2012 NLG award as the Best Token and Medal Book.
He has served as secretary and president of the Santa Barbara Coin Club, secretary and treasurer of the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society, and webmaster and a director of the Token and Medal Society. He currently serves as the Web Subcommittee Chair of the ANA Technical Advisory Committee.
Hyder said his goals if elected to the ANA board include:
1. Maintain the responsible financial management established in the past few years.
2. Expand efforts to personalize the value of ANA membership for collectors through more staff participation in regional and large local coin shows.
3. Dedicate resources to continue development of the ANA website and e-commerce services.
4. Develop social media services to bring collectors together online.
5. Leverage library and museum resources to facilitate greater digital access for members.