Gold bullion prices have come to life in the last few days, with an ounce of the precious metal pushing past the $1,330 mark. A higher price level has not yet translated into higher demand for the gold American Eagle bullion coin. The one-ounce coin is moving very slowly as the month of August unfolds. The latest figure is 1,500 coins sold. At this rate, August sales could register well below the July number of 43,000. July sales were the lowest of the year.
The half-ounce Eagle remained at 1,000 coins sold in August while the tenth ounce hit the board at 5,000 coins.
Sales of silver American Eagle bullion coins have now passed 31 million for the calendar year.
The collector one-ounce proof platinum coin reached 3,419 this week, about one-third the level of the 2012 date so far.
Sales of silver proof Eagles reached 652,370. The “W” uncirculated collector version is now at 125,611.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• August special – only 25 available! Order your 2013 Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake Coin Set today!
• Buy new coin price guides, get the ebook free! Learn more.
• IT’S HERE! Order the 2014 North American Coins & Prices.
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• See what guides and supplies our editors recommend for keeping up with your collection.