Responding to dealers’ comments about the first Official ANA-PNG Pre-Show in Rosemont, Ill., leaders of the American Numismatic Association and the Professional Numismatists Guild have announced significant changes for next year’s event in Philadelphia.
“There’s always room for improvement in any show, but I think we laid a good foundation in our first attempt at a joint event, and the next show will be even better,” said incoming ANA President Tom Hallenbeck. “We have constructive ideas for Philadelphia in 2012 and when we return to the Chicago area in 2013.”
“As is always the case, some dealers complain they didn’t do well and others had excellent sales,” said PNG Executive Director Robert Brueggeman. “But we’re promptly addressing issues that were raised to try and make this as successful as possible for all the dealers.”
Leaders of the ANA and PNG met on Aug. 15 during the Rosemont pre-show to take action on dealers’ concerns. Among the changes that will be in place for the ANA-PNG Pre-Show in Philadelphia Aug. 7-11:
• Any ANA or PNG member who takes a table at the Philadelphia World’s Fair of Money will be eligible to have a table at the 2012 pre-show. Any dealer who did not have a table at the last two World’s Fair of Money shows will also be eligible for a table at the 2012 pre-show.
• The ANA and PNG will extensively advertise and market the show to attract additional participation by dealers nationwide.
• While pre-shows are primarily dealer-to-dealer events, collectors and other guests will be able to attend by invitation only.
• The 2012 pre-show bourse floor layout will be more concentrated to allow for better use of space. Partitions will cordon off and hide the empty tables to be used for the Word’s Fair of Money.
• Pre-show table set-up for all ANA and PNG member-dealers will begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 4, and the show will open at 10 a.m.
• A security room will be available for dealers starting on Thursday, Aug. 2.
• The pre-show will close at noon on Monday, Aug. 6, and the bourse floor will reopen at 3 p.m. for dealers to set up for the World’s Fair of Money.
The joint ANA-PNG committee that met was composed of Larry Shepherd, ANA executive director; Hallenbeck; Jeff Garrett, ANA governor; Rhonda Scurek, ANA convention director; Brueggeman; Jeffrey Bernberg, PNG president; Barry Stuppler, PNG board member; and Tina Shireman, PNG executive assistant.