• seperator

Baltimore club sells medals

Three-piece medal sets marking the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Baltimore Coin Club are being offered on a first-come, first-served basis for $15 plus $5 for shipping and handling.

The medals come in three different compositions, Goldine (brass), Verbronze (antique bronze) and nickel silver. They were struck by the Osborne Coin Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio. All have a diameter of 39mm.

Issuance is limited to 75 sets.

Orders should be directed to the Baltimore Coin Club, P.O. Box 43681, Baltimore, MD 21236-0273. Checks should be made out to the club.

The common designs of the three medals were created by Bryce Doxzon, a former club president.

On obverse is Baltimore’s Battle Monument that commemorates the Battle of Baltimore, an American defensive victory in the War of 1812 after the British had burned Washington, D.C., and something that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words to the National Anthem. The monument is also the official emblem of the city and it appears on its city seal and on the city flag.

Obverse legend reads, “Celebrating 75 Years of Baltimore Numismatics 1935-2010.”

The reverse shows the seal of the State of Maryland. The legends around the outer rim read, “Baltimore Coin Club: Org. 1935: Incorp. 1936.”

The September issue of the club’s newsletter, The Coin Courier, recounts some of the club’s history.

It noted that the organizational meeting was held March 10, 1935, at the Lord Baltimore Hotel.

The first meeting following organization was held April 2, 1935, at 612 N. Calvert St., and that is where the name of the club was officially adopted.

The third meeting was held at the Municipal Museum and it was at this meeting that the constitution and bylaws were adopted formally by members.
As the medal also notes, the club incorporated in 1936.

This entry was posted in Articles, Coin Club News, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply